CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Dreaded Halloween Day Comes Yet Again






























I have spent most of my life, as a mom, in tears at Halloween. It sounds so dumb but, it has usually ended up with children in tears, often not wearing a costume, much anticipation deflated. I always had such a hard time because I would look forward to seeing my child dress up and go trick or treating and it wouldn't happen. As a mom with a child with Autism you have to set standards low. If I have learned one thing that is it. So, my standards were low. We had our Wall E costume and Tyler loved it. Talan decided he wanted to be Jay Jay the Jet Plane so I searched for hours on the Internet. Leave it to Talan to choose a costume that is no longer being made. So, after bidding on multiple costumes on EBay I finally won one. It came he loved it, we were good to go. So, we wake up and go to Dunkin Donuts. My kids love Dunkin Donuts. There are only 2 in all of Colorado Springs instead of 2 on every corner like in Boston so it is a treat for my kids. We get dressed and drive there to find only about half of Colorado Springs is there getting donuts. The line went clear outside around the building. And I just saying, its in not a great part of town, there were weird people twitching in line, and it was all I could do to stand in this line with my 3 little youngsters. But, we did it. We got our orange donuts. Tyler had downed about 3 donuts before he realized that all the other children around were already in their costumes for the day. So, the idea hit him he needed his costume. We rushed home to grab the kids costumes so we could go to Barnes and Noble for reading time. Ty got dressed up and was happy as a clam (how do we really know clams are happy? Just wondering...........) I got out Jay Jay and here come the water works from Talan the child who I don't have lowered standards for. He refused to put on his costume that I spent hours getting. So, Tyler trick or treated around Barnes and Noble and Talan just put a candy bag in people's faces. We ran home for a little down time when Tyler said,"mom where is your pretty princess costume?" I said, Ty I don't have a costume and he was so sad. So, I put on my old cheer outfit. Lets just say I don't know how I wore that short of a skirt that many times in high school. Its probably because now I have more junk in the trunk then I did then!!! And, now having 3 kids the outfit didn't quite fit the same but it zipped which is all that mattered. Oh well, hopefully i will never see those people again. We met up with our neighbors and went trick or treating in old town Colorado Springs. It was almost like a carnival/parade. It was a blast. Tyler had so much fun. Talan pretty much stuck to the stroller and refused his costume for the day. Matt unfortunately got off late so he came straight from work to meet us still in uniform. While it may look like Matt got dressed up he didn't get to which if you know my better half you know he was disappointed. All in all, my Talan wouldn't dress up, Tyler had a blast, Trevin was a very cute and happy fireman, and I relived my past. What could be better?

2 comments:

Cindi said...

I noticed Talan is in his airplane in one of the pictures! You should consider that a success! He had it on long enough for at least one picture. Looks like you guys had a fun, busy day.

Swoopref said...

Nice firefighter photos!