CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Our Miracles


I finally went back to church this last Sunday, I know its shocking!!!! This was the first time I went to Relief Society in over a year because they released me from primary. They were talking about life's miracles. We have had more miracles happen to us in the last 4 years than we deserve. Yes, if you are having that many miracles it must also mean that you are having that many trials. When asked about what miracles we have had in my life I immediately thought of Tyler. I instantly reverted back to my little boy at age 18 months totally lost, engulfed in his private world, without means to communicate with us. I remember thinking there is something wrong with my little boy and we need to fix it. When we found out it was Autism I was initially shocked as anyone would be when hearing the news. But luckily, both Matt and I were shocked into action, not grief. My miracle came when a girl named Amber showed up at our door and told us how we were going to treat our little boy so that he would live a normal life. When told we would strap him in a chair, and force him to learn for 6 hours a day (ABA therapy), I thought life was more than cruel. When he would cry I would be told to leave the room because he looked to me, instead of the therapist for mercy. As a mother, a father, a family, it just about broke us. But, the miracle came in the fact that we new the therapy was the right thing to do, we could live through it and we did. Sometimes it was one day at a time, sometimes one hour at a time. The miracle has re-presented its self in the fact that Tyler is going to be able to attend a typical normal functioning kindergarten instead of a special need classroom. Those early years were some of the most difficult years and now I am seeing the miracle of my son everyday. I went to go pick up Tyler from his church classroom and he said, "Here mommy, I made this for you." If you look closely, he wrote Tyler mom all by himself. He drew a picture of me!! Sure, I have 3 arms and at first I had no hair. But, he did it by himself, and it touched my heart. He has become one of my personal miracles. I hope one day he knows that we love him more than anything and we would do anything for him. As we are packing up tonight and our time in Boston is over, I am really feeling bittersweet. Our years here have been at times almost unbearable. But they have made us so strong, so loving towards each other, and they have changed us. We are different people leaving here than when we came. I'd like to think for the better, in some ways for the worse. We joke that we have become Boston when Matt drives, or when the cashier gets a little too friendly and we think just check us out and lets get out. I know Boston will forever be a place we love in our hearts because it is where we became real adults. People who have to struggle, work hard, and rely on each other to get through the hard times. My parents always say they would trade in the struggling years of their marriage because it made them grow. I now know the same, we wouldn't be the Matt and Megan Mower we are today without the trials we have endured and made it through.

9 comments:

Andrae said...

thank you for your testimony, I needed it today.

ellen said...

You are amazing Megan! I'm going to miss the Mowers more than you know. Boston's loss is Colorado's gain. I hope the next chapter of your life is a good one!

Cory, Jeri, Brock and Parker T. said...

You guys have become an amazing family there in Boston. I am so happy for you. Now, come home!!

Lee Family said...

We miss you already Megan. Porter was asking about you guys all day on Tuesday.
Major props go to you and Matt for handling your trials so exceptionally awesome.
. . . and call me.

Andrae said...

Hi Megan! I wanted to send you an invite for my blog, will you email me at liltexbit@gmail.com so I can get that to you? Thanks!

Ham, Dan and Kaylie said...

I loved the post. Tyler is such a cute boy. Look at all the progress he's made! Hope to see you soon.

Rick & Amber said...

What a beautiful story. Thanks for sharing one of your miracles. I look forward to checking in on your family here even when we are far away. I hope when Rick and I leave Boston we will feel the same way, changed for the better.

The Larsens said...

Is it sad that I got on your blog today just so I could look at pictures of your cute family because I miss you guys? Once life isn't so hectic for you, you need to post some new pictures for me! Thanks for keeping in touch with us even though we've both moved! Hope you are surviving ok without Matt!

Sweeney Household said...

Hey Megan, we miss you in the Arl. ward primary! I just found your blog & read about Tyler. He is awesome and he is so blessed to have amazing parents like you to help him reach his potential. All 3 of your boys are beautiful. Congrats to Matt & good luck in your journeys.....