CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 22, 2008

A New IEP for Ty

There is nothing more intimidating then walking into a room of 9 people to talk about your son. In a very real sense it often feels like them against us although everyone is technically there "for Tyler." I would never wish this process on my worst enemy maybe a back case of something like chicken pox but never an unknown IEP meeting. This was our 1st true meeting since Tyler has started school. He was placed on a 30 day probation to re-evaluate his placement and his days were up. Of course they would ask for a 7:30 am meeting. Do you know how hard it is to find a babysitter at 7:30? And someone who could drive Tyler to school? I felt like that in its self was a fete. I got to the meeting where I walked into a room of 9 people sitting at a long banquet type table and was informed that I would sit at the head of the table. This is the first time I didn't have my trusty advocate on one side, or my dashingly handsome husband on the other side. Matt wanted to be there but with his new established Doctor title I guess there comes certain responsibilities like actually seeing the patients. Go figure! I was nervous. I was probably between 5 and 20 years younger than all the others and I wanted them to know although I am young, I am smart and I know what my Tyler needs. I was all set to argue his continued placement in Kindergarten and his continued speech therapy when I was sent the biggest curve ball of all. Tyler had of course been re-tested by the new school district in every way possible, and I mean every way. I met with nurses to about his vision to talking to social workers about our new family life and that is just a few of the people I had to talk to. They found that our Tyler tested into the gifted program. The very program that almost deterred us from attending this elementary because I believed my son to be on the opposite of that particular rainbow. My jaw physically dropped. I was taken back. I had no idea how to fight for him now because not only are they keeping all of his services and keeping us in normal ed but they are also bumping him up. And then came the best news, for me, of the meeting. Matt and I have randomly stalked the playground to see if Ty had friends to play with. Most times, he was playing by himself which worried us tremendously. Tyler's teacher told us he is part of 4 boys that are inseparable. She said, if Tyler is alone they go to search for him. They are friends with him. In fact, one of the little boys mom came up to me to talk about a play date. I know many might think, the best news in the meeting is about the friends, really? But every mom worries that their child won't have friends. When your child is probably happier playing alone you worry that no one will extend their friendship to him. I feel so vindicated for our hard work. I feel so proud of where we are. I feel like we have truly succeeded. Watch out Jenny McCarthy I just might write a book of my own!

7 comments:

ellen said...

That is wonderful news! I've always been impressed with you and Matt; you are wise and strong beyond your years!

Andrae said...

I got goose bumps as I read your story. What a beautiful thing!!! I have always been impressed by your diligence and efforts with Tyler. Ya'll are such great examples of making a "trial" an opportunity.

Ann said...

i'm so happy for you guys! you are being showered with blessings and you definitely deserve it! the IEP, the friends...it's all so wonderful!! congrats on all of your hard work over the years that has brought you here-you are strong and wonderful people!

Me said...

Yeah! That is so awesome. I am so happy for you. You deserve all the best in the world!

justamom said...

Way to go, Megan! I always knew you would hold your own in an IEP and didn't need me (although I am still very glad to have been of helping Tyler obtain the services which helped get him to the awesome place he is now). I'm happy for you all. P.S. There's a reason I haven't taken my kids camping yet :-)

The Soulier Family said...

You inspire me! Sounds like a ton of work has come back to give great satisfaction.

Amy Mella said...

That one of the nicest things I have heard in a long time. Congrats to you for all the hard work! Jenny's book was good, but you'll have to leave a few F words out of yours! :) I am SO happy for you!